5TH DECEMBER 2016
1. I want to take time to welcome you all here present and for spending time to come and cover this function.
2. Today we are here to announce the launching the National Agricultural Extension Policy 2016 and the National Agricultural Extension Strategy 2016/17 – 2020/21 which were passed by Parliament on 25th October 2016.
3. In 2014, the Government of Uganda took the decision to restructure the system of agricultural extension along a single spine system, thus the Directorate of Agricultural Extension Services (DAES) was established at MAAIF
4. In 2016, MAAIF released the National Agricultural Extension Policy (NAEP) which will provide directions to implement the single spine agricultural extension systems
5. The Policy Mission is to “Promote access of all farmers and other value chain actors to appropriate information, knowledge and technological innovations for increased agricultural productivity, food and nutrition security and household incomes”
6. This policy provides options for interventions for the short, medium and long term; as well as the immediate actions the government will undertake to address the sector challenges such as: low production, productivity and household incomes.. These are in the 8 Policy Areas which are:
a. Pluralistic agricultural extension delivery system
b. Human Resources Management and Capacity Development
c. Farmer organizations and empowerment
d. Technology Development, Packaging and Dissemination
e. Agribusiness Development Services and Market Linkages
f. Agricultural Knowledge Management and Information System
g. Regulation and quality assurance of extension services
h. Targeting youth, gender and other vulnerable groups
7. In order to reinforced the need to improve agricultural production and productivity and calls for increased investment into the sector by the government, private sector and development partners, the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries will spearhead the implementation of the this policy, but in close working collaboration with other MDAs, Development Partners, the Non State Actors and all other stakeholders.
8. I take this opportunity to announce that tomorrow we are launching “The National Agricultural Extension policy 2016” and “The National Agricultural Extension Strategy 2016/17 – 2020/21”. The launch is scheduled to take place on 6th December at Protea Hotel Kampala and it will be a breakfast type of launch from 7. 30 to 10.30am. The Chief guest is expected to be the Rt. Hon Prime Minister Dr Ruhakana Rugunda
9. I wish therefore to thank all of you the media for coming over today and I believe that we will continue to work closely as partners in this important sector, and we should be able to achieve the sector objectives together, because you are one of our important stakeholders.
10. I also take this time to thank very much the Government of the United States of America through the Feed the Future Initiative, the Netherlands Government and the World Bank for the technical and financial assistance extended to the Government of Uganda during the development of this policy. I hope this support will be extended to the policy implementation phase as well.
Mr. Pius Wakabi
Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries
FOR GOD AND MY COUNTRY